Saturday, August 7, 2010

Thanks

I couldn't have done this without the help of several people. Each of the following individuals made a special contribution toward to success of my trip and has therefore made a profound impact on my life.

The Movers: Mike Humphrey, Steve Luckey, Dan Schwartz, Christian Bell.
Thanks to you guys for going out of your way to help me move all of my stuff. For some of you, this has become something of a tradition and I hope you know that I appreciate it each time!

Jeff Ormsby: You really stepped up to help me out by driving me down to Virginia. That's no easy trip and it means a lot to me that you were willing to sacrifice a weekend to get me there. Without your help, I could have been dealing with storing my own car somewhere in Virginia. I owe you one buddy.

Jon Katz: You have always been a great friend to me and everyone else who knows you. I'm not sure what I do to deserve it, but it means a lot to me that I can count on you for all kinds of things. You really made things easy for me by allowing me to crash for almost a week and everything from storing my car and my stuff to lending support and advice.

John Walker: Meeting you the first day of the trip was a great turn of fate. I picked up a few things from you which I applied to the rest of my trip. It was great to ride together the first couple days to help me figure out what I could do. Thanks!

My Mom: You've always known how to provide just the support I need while teaching (forcing) me to figure things out. Everything I've ever achieved has been directly attributable to your influence and I have you to thank for everything. I'm still trying to figure things out, but I know that I have the tools and the critical thinking skills to do it because you never gave up on instilling them in me. I know everyone says it, but you are the best mother a person could hope for. You demonstrated such strong character through everything and it is unlikely that anyone else could have been as strong. Thanks for everything.

Chris: Its nice to know that you are there when I need help. I don't have much to offer from my end, but I hope you know that you can rely on me for anything I can possibly do.


All of my WarmShowers Hosts: Theres no way I could put a value on a homecooked meal and a shower after a hard day on the road. It's great to know that there are other people out there who are committed to treating people the right way. Look me up if you ever make it to Philly!

The American People: While several individuals went to great lengths to make my life miserable, for each jerk there was about a thousand people who did the right thing. It's hard to focus on that when there are a few people out there who conduct themselves in a way which makes life worse for everyone else, but I have been continuously reminded that when people are given the chance, they will typically help one another. In spite of the few, the many remain good at heart and by their kindness and warmth I was able to enjoy innumerable comforts along the way. Thanks to all who offered water, food, directions, housing, yard space, friendly conversation and advice.

Other TransAm Bikers: It was great to meet and discuss with you life on the road, share tips and stories, and help eachother along. Everyone has their own reasons for being out here, but we are all in it together and it was great to meet so many interesting people with whom I could share a kinship.

My Supporters: Maybe I should have asked for money, but either way, it was very touching to find so many people interested in my trip and supplying encouraging comments. I have to thank you all for sticking by me as my writing skills steadily deteriorated along with my ability to think straight. One of the difficult aspects of thinking a lot is that the thoughts begin to clutter up and overflow in ways that are totally senseless and incomprehensible. If you were able to make out anything meaningful in my ranting, I owe you thanks for your patience and tolerance.




Location:San Francisco, CA

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it, man! What an awesome accomplishment. Looking forward to catching up. You, Matt and I need to hang sometime when you're back on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete