Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Wonder If There's Any Gold Left...


I was expecting some serious downhill coasting for the entire day out of Kirkwood. I was wrong.

Even though I spent the entire previous day climbing and I stopped at the top of the mountain, somehow I am still climbing down the other side. I suppose it's slightly more balanced toward downhill, but it feels like I'm still working far too hard for this too be a descent. I even tried not to take anything for granted but I thought I'd catch a little break after such a climb. Oh well, I'll just accept it and do what I need to do.

The pain and fatigue are steadily increasing throughout the day as they have for the few days leading up to this. My legs feel heavier and slower than ever and each climb feels steeper than the last. I'm starting to think that my mind has just given up because it's California and I'm supposed to be done, but there is still a lot of work to do. It has become a battle between my will and my body. I'm reminded of what the wise man Chris Feist says, "Embrace the pain!"

As I continue to come "down" the mountain, there are many amazing views. The Sierra Nevadas are much smaller than the Rockies but look very similar. There are huge trees, solid walls of granite along the road and hidden lakes sitting just in between the peaks. The quality of the roads is steadily deteriorating as I descend, though.

Some parts of these California roads feel more like the surface of the moon than anything I've ever come across on earth. It's almost as though they paved the roads by dropping chucks of hardened pavement from helicopters and then sealed it by detonating mines all around. I don't think I've seen a continuous piece of pavement greater than one square foot since Nevada. Every inch of these roads subjects me and my bike to severe abuse and I'm. Seriously starting to doubt that my equipment will last much more.

In spite of the horrible road conditions and seemingly endless downhill climb, I am motivated to reach San Francisco. At this point, since there are towns and people everywhere again, if my bike and gear start falling apart I am prepared to finish the trip on a WalMart bike with nothing but a backpack. I must make it now. I've come over 3,500 miles and I'm not letting anything stand in the way of the last couple hundred. It looks like California is going to put up a fight to the end.

Throughout the day, whenever I got a trace of cell reception, I would try to figure out where I would be staying for the night. The one downside of entering civilazation is that it becomes more difficult to find easy and free lodging. The land, like in the East, is all claimed and private or totally inappropriate for camping so it's necessary to either pay for a motel or find a host. I've tried to contact a few people online, but haven't had any luck in the way of responses. Until I can figure it out, I'll just keep covering ground.

I made it to Folsom and hooked up with the American River Bike Trail which goes for about 34 miles through Folsom, Sacramento, and out toward Davis. Within a few miles, I finally got a call back from a guy who lives right next to the bike trail. He was still about 14 miles away and it was getting dark, so I strapped on my headlight and switched on my rear flasher and pushed on down the trail.

Night had fallen and it was totally dark. I still had about 12 miles to go and it was going to take another hour. I don't mind riding at night, but I was in a real city and there are homeless people, idiotic locals, rattlesnakes, and other animals lurking all around the river and bike trail at night. Obviously I made it alive, but it was a tense and somewhat uncomfortable ride.

My host for the evening actually came down to the bike trail to meet me. He led me back up to his house and offered me food and comforts of home for the night. It was totally worth the trip. The food was fantastic and he had an entire room for me to use. I took a great shower, the first in three days, had a chance to talk with him about bike routes and places to see in San Francisco, and had a comfortable bed to look forward to.

The day ended up being 110 miles and took until 9:30pm. Longer than expected but I got a free place to stay, a meal, and a great conversation. I ended up in Sacramento, right where Howe Avenue crosses the river.



Location:Sacramento, CA

1 comment:

  1. It makes me happy Feist could be with you on your adventure :]

    ReplyDelete