Thursday, August 5, 2010

No More Room for Desert

After giving in and springing for a motel in Fallon, I was ready to attack my last full day in Nevada. It's been a long and lackluster journey across the desert and I'm ready to turn the page to a chapter of trees and life in California.

The 68 miles from Fallon to Carson City are mostly flat, but as I've learned out here in the desert, that can actually be some of the hardest riding. Between the heat, the endless pedalling at the same continuous cadence, and the barren landscape, these flat stretches can be mentally exhausting. My goal is to get it over with and try to enjoy Carson City, the first real place since Colorado.

I skipped what would have been a normal interval for a rest day and it is really starting to show. I just wanted to wrap it up and get to California, but my body and mind are showing some serious wear. For the first time on the entire trip, I've started to notice my legs feeling heavy and my temper growing short. Every little hill feels harder and every little obstacle seems more frustrating. It also doesn't help when the wind starts blowing right into my face again.

Anyway, the desert flats and random hills did not disappoint. Even though the mileage was on the low side, it still felt like a century. No matter how miserable I get though, I know my life isn't as sad as the guys who sit all day in the convenience store slot machine area throwing money away.

The most significant thing I've seen in this area is the abundance of slot parlors in the most depressing places. All of the food markets have a little back area with a dozen machines, the gas stations, the banks, the restaurants- they all have a bank of gaming machines which are occupied at all times by people with an obvious lack of mathematical knowledge. Oh well, as one person put it, slot machines are just a tax on stupidity.



I made it to Carson City and I'm done for the night. It was a grueling struggle through the desert but hopefully my last. Tomorrow I will enter California.



Location:Carson City, NV

No comments:

Post a Comment