Thursday, July 22, 2010

Make It Happen.


Persisting in spite of all impedimenta defines success.

The bike is loaded down, the weather is harsh and erratic, my body fatigues, and the miles feel longer each day, but reaching the goal in spite of all obstacles is the most important component of success. After all, each obstacle serves to create an opportunity for emotional fulfillment. Without wind, there is no satisfaction of beating it. Without rain, there is no relief when the convenience store has a nice warm seating area. Without each of these elements working against me, there would be no basis for success or failure.

No more will the weather impact my goals. No more will the heat effect my performance. Never again will the rain cause me to take a short day.

I made the choice today to defeat my foes rather than be defeated. Through the hail, through some of the strongest headwinds yet, through the clammy moist air after the rain, I chose to push on. I could have stopped and called it a short day and after all, it's not a race.

This has never been a race, but a challenge to reach and exceed my limitations. I don't know if I have done it yet, but I am trying. Maybe the only way I'll know when I've reached the limit is when I'm laying in the desert with cracked lips and burnt skin watching the vultures convene around me. Until then though, I am going to set goals and reach them.



About two thirds through the ride, I arrived in Montrose. It's a nice town with tons of stores and restaurants. It would have been a fine place to call it quits, but instead I just grabbed some food and headed out.

About one mile out of town, the wind began to pick up. Naturally, it was in my face. It was at that point that I faced the dilemma of stopping or continuing. I chose to push on. I saw a sign for "Ray's Jerky", and although I have only eaten jerky two or three times in my life, I got a gut feeling about the place and decided to check it out.

So far, the most memorable experiences in my life have been those which have arisen from spontaneous decisions. The unplanned and unexpected scenarios created by "going with the gut" have always led to special and meaningful moments. Pulling into Ray's was no exception.

It's getting close to bed time, so I'm going to abbreviate the story a little.

While sampling some of Ray's wares, he mentioned to me the existence of a Hot Spring down in Ridgway. As Ridgway was indeed my goal for the night, I encouraged Ray to explain in greater detail. He told me that they allow people in all night long, I could set up camp there, and it would be great relief for my muscles.

That sounded good enough to me! I purchased a pack of Ray's famous beef jerky and with renewed purpose rode down to Ridgway. On the way, I encountered a few more showers and winds, but I was not to be overcome. I pushed through with the thought of soaking in a steamy pool of mineral water guiding my legs. With each stroke of the pedals, I was closer to relief. I would have been happy just to get to Ridgway and set up camp, but the promise of a hot spring was enough to motivate a little more speed.

Long story short, I made it to Ridgway (saw an awesome double rainbow along the way) and found the hot spring. It was glorious. I'm keeping the details to myself, but I met a lot of really cool people and had a fantastic time floating around in the "pond".

By the way, I've only been to Colorado a few times, but during each I have seen a complete rainbow. This is the only place I have ever visited in which the rainbows are visible from ground to ground. It's pretty cool.





Location:Ridgway, CO

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,
    Having spent several evenings at Strawberry Fields hot springs in Steamboat Springs, CO, I think I know what you mean when you say you'll "keep the details to yourself"!

    I also agree with your assessment of people in CO. They consider any day spent without some outdoor activity a complete waste. It is very refreshing to be in a place where the priorities are on enjoying nature and extending oneself instead of shopping for useless stuff and extending one's credit cards.

    I am enjoying your missives and have turned a few friends into your fans as well. I hope you find what you're seeking, or better yet, find what makes life worth really living.

    A. Janice

    ReplyDelete