Saturday, July 17, 2010

El Pueblo Unido Jamas Sera Vencido

Well it has nothing to do with the revolution in Chile, but the town I have been longing to reach is called Pueblo and it reminds me of that slogan.

Pueblo, CO represents a milestone in the TransAm route. It is at this point that the route begins to cross the continental divide and traverse the greatest mountain range in North America. Some bikers head North toward Oregon, others press on to the West to reach San Francisco, but all pass through Pueblo.

I had planned to take a rest day here as well, so that has been a source of motivation for the last few days. Sometimes the only thing that pushes the pedals is the promise of a great milestone or the victory over a significant obstacle. In this case, I have been suffering the winds and heat through the plains awaiting the repreive of a rest day in a city which actually has things to do. My last rest day was slightly disappointing in the activity department.

Today was the shortest mileage day of the entire trip. Only 50 miles from Ordway to Pueblo. I got it done in less than four hours, sat in a convenience store for a while nursing some assorted beverages, and called a ton of motels to find the cheapest rate. To describe the motel in which I currently find myself as a one-star would be generous, but it has a roof, an air conditioner, and a shower. I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow night, but I have tried to contact someone via WarmShowers.org. If that doesn't pan out, I'm planning to camp in the state park and get an early start on Sunday.

Yesterday's entry was long enough for two days, so I'll end it here. Nothing too magnificent happened today anyway since it was short and quick. Sometimes it's nice to just burn through a day and spend some time relaxing.

Rest day, then into the Rockies!

Location:Pueblo, CO

1 comment:

  1. Looking at that map on trackmytour.com is mindblowing Kev. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete