Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's Pronounced "EE-lee"


I woke up in my stealth-camp site with optimism and peace of mind. It was surprisingly pleasant to be out in the wilderness and wake up with the sun. I packed up and hit the road without a clear idea of my destination, but it didn't really matter. I was glad to have slept at the top because I got a free ten miles of descent in the morning, too.

I crossed into Nevada and made it to the first town of the day, Baker. Much to my surprise I found a little cafe with wifi and delicious baked goods. The place looked just like something you'd find in the city. It had a couch, artsy decorations, books, a bunch of people working on laptops, and a bunch of imported drinks and foods. I planned to sit there on the couch for a few hours while I studied the map and planned my night. I usually don't mind riding a little later in exchange for a good size break during the hottest part of the day.

Anyway, it looked like Ely would be a good spot to aim for as I moved forward. I hit the road and planned to arrive by 8:30pm.

The last climb was extremely difficult and put my endurance to the test once again. As hard as it was to keep pushing, I actually started to feel good toward the top. Maybe it was a second wind or some inexplicable feeling of motivation, but I made the last two miles of the climb feeling positive and energized.

I was able to negotiate a cheap motel room and, since it was technically already my birthday in Eastern Time, I felt fine dishing out $25 for a $45 room and calling it a night.

112 miles for the day. One intense climb. Almost hit an antelope (first one I've seen in person). Got a good night's sleep for the eve of my birthday.



Location:Ely, NV

1 comment: